The Cornel West Academy of Excellence is a Leadership and Enrichment program that helps young men learn the value of civic advocacy and participation. The program uses different curriculum to achieve that goal. The program is only as successful as the participation of the young men and their families. During the year there will be opportunities for the young men to participate in community service project and to push for the change they want to see in their community. As young people, there is power in the advocacy and at a young age, we will have them develop and advocacy plan and program. The young men must be between the 2nd and 5th grades. Once a young man completes the 5th grade, the young men are encouraged to enroll in the Lightner Y Achievers Program here in Raleigh, NC. The program serves youth in the 6th-12th grades.
To participate fully in the program the items below are required:
- Fully Complete an Application
- $50 application fee
- Completed Interview
- Required to memorize the “Cornel West Academy Creed“
- Required to memorize “Just a Minute” by Dr. Benjamin Maye
- Regular Attendance and Participation
- T-Shirt(s) purchase
- Polo Shirt Purchase (Will be embroidered)
- Community Service Project Attendance
- Field Trip Attendance
- Fundraiser participation (each family must raise $200)
- Workbook & Supply Purchase
*There is no tuition associated with the academy. When field trips are planned, parents will be informed of the cost per student.